Will this finally be Joel Embiid's year?
The Philadelphia 76ers’ center, who led the league in scoring for the second consecutive season (33.1 points per game this year), certainly has strengthened his resume as voters had to submit their NBA MVP ballots to the league office by 6 p.m. ET Monday.
Embiid has been disappointed chasing the MVP before, as Sixers fans and people who follow Pennsylvania sports betting know.
Embiid (10.2 rebounds per game) will lead the third-seeded 76ers (54-28) against the sixth-seeded Brooklyn Nets (45-37) in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. Game 1 is at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Wells Fargo Center.
Embiid also is looking for the franchise’s first MVP award since Allen Iverson accomplished the feat in 2000-01.
Denver’s Nikola Jokic (24.5 ppg., 11.8 rpg.) is in contention for his third consecutive honor as he has beaten out Embiid for MVP honors the past two seasons.
If Embiid takes home his first coveted MVP award, he would be the sixth player since the 2000-01 season to also have led the league in scoring.
Here is the list:
- 2017-18: James Harden, Houston Rockets
- 2016-17: Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
- 2015-16: Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
- 2013-14: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
- 2000-01: Allen Iverson, 76ers
WynnBET Dives into MVP Numbers
Pennsylvania sports betting apps have been cranking out the NBA MVP odds.
Embiid has the lead among WynnBET Sportsbook PA bettors as of Wednesday afternoon with 29.5% of handle (13.4% of bets) with Jokic second at 29.3% (11.4% of bets). The Milwaukee Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo is third with 21.5% (9.5% of bets) and the Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum rounds out the top four at 10.2% (34.3% of bets).
According to WynnBET's Specialist for Comms/Content Travis Eldridge, here is how the top two contenders fared just two weeks ago (March 30):
- Jokic: 12.7% of bets; 32.1% of the handle
- Embiid: 11.6% of bets; 23.5% of the handle
When MVP odds closed on April 7, Embiid was the overwhelming favorite at -2000, followed by Giannis (+1500), Jokic (+1500) and Tatum (+30000).
Latest WynnBET NBA Champion Future Odds
- T1. Boston Celtics (+300): 56.6% of bets (59.9% of handle)
- T1. Milwaukee Bucks (+300): 6.4% (6.6%)
- 3. Phoenix Suns (+400): 6.4% (6.3%)
- T4. Golden State Warriors (+800): 4.2% (5.9%)
- T4. Denver Nuggets (+800): 3.0% (2.5%)
- 5. Philadelphia 76ers (+1000): 2.7% (4.2%)
- 6. Los Angeles Lakers (+1500) - 3.7% (3.0%)
Follow PennStakes.com for casino and sports betting news as well as for PA sportsbook promos.