Through the first three months of the NFL season, Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts is the front-runner for league MVP honors, according to PA sports betting apps, with Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes certainly capable of making a run.
After Sunday’s come-from-behind win by Philadelphia over Buffalo, Bills quarterback Josh Allen is seeing his odds plummet, despite having a great game himself in a losing effort against the 10-1 Eagles.
However, with Hurts engineering the 37-34 overtime win as he passed for three touchdowns and ran for two more, including the game-winner, the Eagles quarterback further added to his MVP resume and the odds are reflecting that.
Hurts is +140 at BetMGM Sportsbook PA to win the NFL MVP award after beginning the season at +1000.
Behind Hurts is Mahomes at +350. The odds have Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson third at +500. And tied for fourth, from an odds perspective, are Miami quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and Dallas signal-caller Dak Prescott at +800.
Team Performance Obvious Big Factor
As an example of how team performance will reflect on individual players, the Bills’ Allen has passed for 24 touchdowns against 12 interceptions and has run for nine TDs, but Buffalo is 6-6 and in danger of failing to make the playoffs. Allen started the season with +650 odds at BetMGM to win the MVP and is now at +3000.
Hurts has led the Eagles to their 10-1 start, including four consecutive wins when the Birds trailed at halftime. For the season, Hurts has 18 passing touchdowns, 10 interceptions and has rushed for 11 TDs. At BetMGM, he has the highest ticket percent (12.3%) to win the MVP and he represents the book’s biggest liability.
Meanwhile, Mahomes is still having his own typically outstanding season. The Chiefs QB and last year’s Super Bowl hero has the highest handle percentage (12.2%) in the 2023 MVP betting at BetMGM. The Chiefs are atop the AFC West at 8-3. Mahomes has thrown for 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions but, oddly, he has not rushed for a touchdown so far this season despite having run for 305 yards.
In the opening odds, Mahomes, Allen and Cincinnati’s Joe Burrow were tied as favorites to win the MVP at +650. Of that group, Mahomes is hot on the heels of Philadelphia’s Hurts; Allen has dropped considerably, and Burrow, who is out for the season with a torn ligament in his wrist that required surgery, is off the board.
A player who has been catching the attention of bettors, although still a longshot, is San Francisco quarterback Brock Purdy, who is +1600 at BetMGM. He also has attracted 7.5% of the handle, which is fourth-most at the bookmaker.
Odds on Other Awards
Here is a how national and PA sports betting odds shape up in other individual honors categories:
- For Offensive Player of the Year, San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey is the leader in highest ticket percentage and highest handle percentage, but Miami wide receiver Tyreek Hill is the odds leader at -105.
- For Defensive Player of the Year, the odds leader is Cleveland defensive end Myles Garrett at +150, although Garrett just suffered a shoulder injury in the Browns’ last game.
- Coach of the Year leader is Detroit’s Dan Campbell with odds +160.
- For Offensive Rookie of the Year, the highest ticket percentage belongs to Detroit running back Jahmyr Gibbs, and the highest handle percentage belongs to Atlanta running back Bijan Robinson. For Defensive Rookie of the Year, the consensus favorite is Philadelphia defensive tackle Jalen Carter at -250.
- The odds favorite for Comeback Player of the Year is Buffalo safety Damar Hamlin at -150. Hamlin suffered on-field cardiac arrest last season but is back in uniform and he has played sparingly in 2023.
Various sportsbooks have all these awards available. It would be wise to have a PA sportsbook promo code with you if you are considering such a wager.