Will Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin Be Fired?

Will Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin Be Fired?
Fact Checked by Pat McLoone

The seventh-seeded Pittsburgh Steelers had an early exit from the NFL Playoffs Monday with a 31-17 road loss to the second-seeded and AFC East Division champion Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card Round. In one day, the two NFL teams in Pennsylvania sports betting, the Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles, were gone.

Now comes what seems like a crazy question: Will Steelers coach Mike Tomlin walk away or be fired? This was magnified when the always-accommodating Tomlin walked away from the postgame press conference when a question about his future was raised.

PennStakes.com – your source for PA sportsbook promo codes - provided hypothetical odds on Tomlin being let go after an impressive 17-year tenure.

Will Mike Tomlin Be Fired?

OddsPercent Chance
Yes+52516%
No-52584%

These odds are hypothetical from PennStakes.com and will not be on any PA sports betting apps.

Terms apply for all bonuses. Must be 21+ to participate.  
Bonus Bets Expire in 7 Days. One New Customer Offer Only. Must be 21+ to participate & present in PA. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER. Visit BetMGM.com for Terms & Conditions. US promotional offers not available in NY, NV, or Puerto Rico.

Our Odds Say It’s Unlikely

By a huge margin, the answer is an emphatic NO at +525 (84% chance). YES is a huge underdog in this scenario at -525 (16%).

It seems unfathomable that the Steelers will let go of Tomlin, who has been in The Steel City since 2007. He has achieved a remarkable .500 or better record in each season, compiling a 173-100-2 (.631) ledger overall. During that time, he has won seven divisional titles (last was 2020), placed second six times and third four times. He never has finished last in the division.

Despite going 1-1 in the Super Bowl (win in 2008, loss in 2010) in his second and fourth seasons, Tomlin has posted an 8-10 (.444) postseason record. Pittsburgh has failed to advance in the playoffs in three of the last four seasons and has missed the playoffs in three of the past six. Tomlin's last postseason win came in the 2016 season.

Whether Tomlin stays as coach likely will be his call and his call only. The hunch is the 52-year-old stays with even more passion than ever before.

While we see how this scenario plays out and long after, PennStakes.com will monitor any sports betting news on the Steelers and pro teams in the state and also provide great information on PA online casinos.

Terms apply for all bonuses. Must be 21+ to participate.  
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
quote

Author

Lou Monaco had been East Coast Scene columnist for Gaming Today in Las Vegas since June 2019, covering the East Coast sportsbook scene with emphasis on NJ and PA. He also currently is a part-time writer for the high school sports department for NJ Advanced Media (NJ.com) in Iselin, NJ. Lou has over 30 years sports experience with previous stints at ESPN SportsTicker, Daily Racing Form and Oddschecker.

Cited by leading media organizations, such as: